May all your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view......where something strange and more beautiful and more full of wonder than your deepest dreams waits for you.

May 26, 2010

Back in town again!

We came back to use the internet again today and I wanted to quickly go over my daily routine because I haven't really covered that.

Around 7:30, we walk the primary school children to school (there are 7 of them). Afterwards we stop and have chai and mandazi for breakfast, its wonderful. Then we come back and begin our work. Our options are: Field Work (as I described yesterday), Clinic (I haven't done this yet but its mostly just HIV counseling, sometimes shadowing doctors), Construction (can be building things, I did this today and painted signs), Laundry, Kitchen Assistant (sorting beans, cutting vegetables, etc.), Social Work (cleaning, sweeping, etc.) or Teaching Assistant.

Lunch is served around 1pm and is usually beans or rice or some combination of that. Then we either continue our work or if we are done, we can hang out, read, help someone else, or come into town (as I have done today and yesterday). Its very relaxing but the excessive down time makes the days move so slow. However yesterday and today I have been in a really good mood - I think it is because I am able to get online. Yesterday when I was in Kenol, where I am now, I got oranges, carrots, some popcorn, some Coke Light (AKA Diet Coke....oh I missed you) and some peanut butter for my bread in the mornings. I made orange juice with my oranges which was awesome.

In the evenings, the sun sets around 6:30ish. The kids come home from school between 4 and 5:30, and we hang out with them until 6:30 when they go to class at the orphanage or do homework. At 8pm, they wash their hands and say prayers (I need to get a video of this, it might be the cutest thing I have ever seen) and the volunteers serve dinner. Then we eat, brush teeth, say evening prayers and hear a Bible verse, and the kids go to bed. All in all, we are back in bed by 9:30pm each night, so I usually read or write in my journal for a while.

I don't really remember what all I have written in here already about this but I thought I'd go over it anyway.

This weekend I am going to be going to Nairobi to go to Children's Garden, another orphanage that my roommate Stella worked at for a while. She says it is far more efficient and better run, so I am excited to check it out.

Short post today as I updated yesterday, but thank you for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I love hearing about the children!! I so hope you can post video and pictures at some point. Can you use someone else's computer to upload them?

    I just talked with Matt; he broke his hand last night playing softball. Poor kid. Thankfully he's not in pain but this messes up his training for his Live Strong bike ride later in August and certainly affects him coming to Muskoka earlier in the summer, too. But you know Matt; he's positive and will use stationery bikes to train and will just go later in the month to the cottage.

    Anyway, I love you very much, Emily and really like reading about your days. Just keep trying new jobs, so that time doesn't seem to move so slowly.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete