May all your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view......where something strange and more beautiful and more full of wonder than your deepest dreams waits for you.

May 16, 2010

Two days and counting...

Hello everyone! This is my travel blog for my trip to Kenya. I leave May 18 to travel to Makuyu, Kenya to work at Watoto Wa Baraka Orphanage (WWB). I am really excited to begin this trip!

What am I doing in Kenya? Well, first I will be working at the orphanage and the centre with children who have lost their parents (often to HIV/AIDS). This involves work like housekeeping, cooking, cleaning, playing games, and general child care. The orphanage says that there are many projects to get involved in - for example, they recently built a well and new outhouses. I am not sure WHAT exactly I will be doing, but that is part of the fun of the trip. I am going into this with an open heart and open mind, ready to serve and ready to work.


In addition to this work, in order to benefit my studies, I will be observing the property rights systems in the villages where I am staying. I want to find out what property institutions exist in these areas and how they operate. Why does this matter? Click here to find out. 

I was able to fundraise for this trip through generous contributions by my family and friends, as well as my graduate program, and personal funds. If you are interested in contributing to my travel funds, please let me know! Any contributions are appreciated.

I wanted this first post to sort of cover a lot of the questions I have been getting...everyone is asking the same things so here you go:

  • Is there electricity? Yes, at WWB, but very basic. I don't know what this  means. 
  • Is there internet? I will have access at internet cafes and at the orphanage but I am not sure how often or how fast this will be.
  • Is there running water? There is a well with clean water. But no, no showers or sinks! 
  • Where are you staying? At WWB, volunteers stay in the nearby village of Pundamilia. The closest town is Thika, and it takes an hour to get to the bus and take the bus there. Volunteers tell me that I can get just about ANYTHING in Thika.
  • Why don't you know anything about where you're going?! Thats just how things go in Kenya and in a lot of Africa...a bit chaotic, a bit disorganized, not sure what to expect. So again, I'm going with an open mind.
  • Is it safe? I will be in a pretty rural area in Makuyu/Pundamilia, so its pretty safe. Nairobi is a bit more dangerous but if you pay attention and don't act stupid you'll be fine. I won't be in Nairobi except when I land.
  • What is the food like? The main staples of the diet are rice, beans, ugali (corn meal), potatoes, cabbage and bread (chapati). Fresh fruit and vegetables are readily available and are inexpensive to purchase. Everyone I talk to says that food is pretty bland and boring! So I've got hot sauce and of course Cleveland Stadium Mustard. Could not leave home without it. 
  • What are you taking? Lots of clothes for the kids. A sleeping bag, a towel, tylenol, some t-shirts, some jeans, and lots of hot sauce. I'm anticipating leaving most of my clothes there to make room for souvenirs.
  • Whats the weather like? Hot, and relatively dry. Its winter there, but Kenya is on the equator and it will be warm, but cool at night.
  • How long are you going? May 18 to August 5
  • Is this mission work? No. I am going on this trip for school. However, the orphanage has affiliations with the church.
  • Do you know anyone there? Not exactly. I have chatted with a volunteer that is there now, named Morgan. I have two friends, Ashley and Rachael, who will be in Uganda and we plan to meet up. A girl I went to college with, Deanna, is in Meru, Kenya right now, and that's close enough I needed something. But for the most part, I'm going alone. 
  • Um....you aren't exactly the outdoorsy type...or the type that likes to endure physical discomfort...plus you like to be clean. Why are you doing this? I'm doing this because I want to gain better understanding of poverty. I'm doing this because I want to figure out if this is the field in which I want to work. I'm doing this because I want to figure out if there is anything we can really do to make the world better. I'm doing this because I feel drawn to Africa...I feel drawn to help, to understand, to serve. I don't really know why I am doing this. I'm going to try and figure that out when I'm there. 
So follow along with me this summer. I'm blessed to be able to go. I am also blessed to have such amazing friends and family that have so graciously donated to this cause and enabled me to travel. 

A final thank you to all the wonderful people who have donated to this trip. I could NOT have done it without you!

Richard & Gail Tanner
Matthew Tanner
Bill & Ruth Koptis
Hans & Helen Tanner
Monica Tanner
Mark & Sarah Van Drunen
Mike & Barb Radis
Joyce Schindler
Cynthia Schwelgian 
Marylee Koptis
Kristen Buchstein
Ann Seward
Rachel Ball
Terry & Susan Walker
Jillian Nichols
Becky Horvath
GSPIA Dean's Office - Travel Grant
GSPIA Student Cabinet - Travel Grant

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you! Please be safe, we'll all miss you while you're away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily: How exciting to read all your adventures. You do a great job of descibing everything.
    Sorry to hear you are disappointed but as you know you cant change anything only your attitude. I think you are doing great with that and think what a great chance to get to know yourself.
    I just reade book "If You Want To Walk On Water Y ou Have To Get Out Of The Boat" and you sure have done that.
    Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
    Love Grandma

    ReplyDelete